Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nothing: Or, A Catalog of "Activities"


When I started this blog, oh so long ago, I did so with absolutely no overarching theme in mind, but I also wanted to write at least something every day. So far this has worked pretty much as expected: the posts have no connection to each other, and although I haven’t written every day, I’ve done so at least as often as I’ve showered (look, I’m unemployed). Since I have no central idea, I can write about books or games, or apparently something to do with listening to records. Since I have no audience to speak of, I can do each of those things pretty much extemporaneously: sitting down and writing whatever the hell I want to. Furthermore, I don’t have to edit it, which is great, because I’m sure if I looked back at things, I would probably have an incredibly strong urge to just delete each and every post.

Still, such freedom makes it difficult to decide what to do with a blank virtual page, especially when I haven’t really done anything of note (which is quite often). Today, just to keep up with appearances, I’ve decided to just sit down and detail the rather mundane activities of the last few days. And mundane they are. Theoretical readers, you are in for a treat with no taste. 

The highlight of Tuesday was almost certainly the Greens with Carrots, Feta Cheese and Brown Rice that Michaela and I made. It was fairly simple, just some wilted greens with carrots, onion and whatnots over Uncle Ben’s brown rice. We did make the brown rice with some vegetable stock, which probably imbued the whole thing with more taste than it would normally have, but it turned out quite well and is probably healthier than my usual staple food: frozen pizza. The one downside, as reported by Michaela, is that it does not heat up well. Be warned.

Unfortunately, as we made the food, we decided to do dishes. Michaela and I hate doing dishes, and I have two sets of circumstances that produce some rather disastrous results with dishes. First, I have an incredible amount of them and can go for days, if not weeks, without washing mugs or plates and still have fresh ones in the cupboard. Secondly, I have very limited counter space, so, when I go for those days, if not weeks of using fresh dishes, I have to stack the used ones up in elaborate and precarious piles. Michaela, also reports that they stink, though I seem to be immune. So as the greens were wilting on the stove, we set to work on washing. And then Michaela did something tremendously bizarre: she dried her hands on the one remaining clean dish towel we had left, took it up to her face and itched her nose with it.

This is mostly bizarre because, although it’s something I would probably do, Michaela is much more conscientious of such things. When I saw it happen, I had to stop for a moment and take stock of how gross it was. “That seems like something I would do,” I thought, “but, it probably isn’t something I should do.”

“Did you just—” I said.
“Oh my gosh,” she responded.
“Should we—”
“We’re going to have to wash it… Do you have quarters?”
“Yeeess,” now seeing an opportunity to stop washing dishes at least for awhile.

And so, despite our best efforts, the dishes remain.

The rest of the night was spent enjoying our delicious meal, and watching Harvey. Harvey is one of those old charming movies that can apparently get away with its central character being an incurable drunk. He’s charming, you see, and if anyone has a problem with him, well they’re the trouble. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful movie, but it seems a little anachronistic since society’s norms have cracked down on alcoholism. Indeed, there’s a scene in it where a psychologist is attempting to placate James Stewart after a wacky misunderstanding. The doctor points out that it’s not a problem that he drinks, “I suppose you take drink now and then like the rest of us.” Stewart, seems just about to correct the frequency of that assessment, taking the first step, “well, I would say it’s more often than, ‘now and then,’ actually, it’s much more like, ‘constantly’… Doctor… I wonder… do you think I have a problem.” But he glances over at the invisible Harvey, smiles, and with a blank face says simply, “Yes.” Harvey, I think, is an enabler.

So, the movie going experience was fine, except for the usual problem: Whenever we sit down to watch a movie, my cat seems to take it as an open invitation to use us as her own personal jungle gym. If she can’t get our attention by walking over Michaela’s bare legs and digging her claws into her flesh, she’ll circle around to the top of the couch, and from my shoulders, over my chest down into my lap and stand there. Of course, as is usual, she doesn’t really want to get petted at this point; if you start, she’ll just move away again. Who knows what she wants. She’s a cat.

After Michaela went to bed, I stayed up and played Crysis 2 until about 3:00, which crippled me the next morning. To attempt to get my energy level up… well I played some more Crysis 2. I also downloaded The Last Express and played that for a bit. Finally after some pointless staring, I decided to apply for one of the jobs in my “To apply” folder. I wrote out a very nice cover letter, and sent it off to Michaela for some copy editing along with the job description. Thank god, I did that, because although there were apparently no major errors, Michaela did point out to me that along with the usual material for the job, I also needed to include a personal statement about my relationship with Jesus Christ. I demurred.

So it’s been an unproductive couple of days. Facing again another cover letter to be edited and the sneaking suspicion of inevitable failure, today, I’ve decided to write a blog of nothing instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment